Update and Advice from 16 and Pregnant's Lizzie
We first met Lizzie in Season 2 of 16 and Pregnant. Her pregnancy forced her to drop out of high school and the marching band, and she had to confront a cheating boyfriend. Lizzie's back to update us on her life and to pass on some advice she's learned since her episode aired. Download the discussion guide from Lizzie's episode; watch her episode.
So, as everyone saw on my episode, finishing school or going to college as a teenager with a baby is difficult to do. I think it’s harder because you are being introduced to SO many new things and responsibilities and it’s a little overwhelming. You want to be able to keep going to school like planned, but everything changes when the baby gets here and then you wanna be there for him or her.
I think once you have gotten being a new parent down pretty well, it is easier to balance school and a baby, you just have to know what you are capable of doing. I only take class at night twice a week, and Summer is asleep for the most part during that time so I’m not missing out on spending time with her. I think if you just step back and get being a parent down, then you should be able to go back to school, even if it takes a little longer to finish.
Having a baby also makes personal relationships harder to keep. When you're pregnant and have a baby, you find out who was really important and who your true friends are. Your friends have to realize that you can’t leave on the spur of the moment anymore and you have to plan things a few days in advanced. Some people can’t grasp that concept and lose interest in hanging out with you, but the ones who stick around, however few, are your true friends.
I would suggest to younger teens to practice abstinence, but as sad as it is to say, not many do. Teens are doing it younger and younger, so if they are going to do it, I STRONGLY suggest being at least a little smart, and using good birth control. Birth control nowadays is pretty simple depending on what you get. I have one that they put in your arm and you have it for three years. It’s not hard, but a lot of people don’t think about getting pregnant.
So final thought:: Don’t be silly, wrap the willy. Ha.
- Quizzes at school are lame, but this one is fun. You get an A+ just for taking it! Go ahead, brainiac. t.co/WLQvHMdkS7 #ND13
- Every day, more than 2000 teen girls get pregnant in the U.S. Get smart. Know the facts. Take the quiz @ t.co/WLQvHMdkS7. #ND13
- Did you enjoy the National Day Quiz? Then vote for us! #ND13 @BlueCadet t.co/MHBTjYc4wN
- Having fun, goofing off, quality time on Pinterest...what would YOU miss out on if you became a teen parent? t.co/G6Sly8ItTd #ND13
- RT @ABCFsecretlife: This week’s episode put many of the #SecretLifers in compromising positions. Discuss all the relationships here: http:/…